Monday, May 7, 2012

This is the beginning...

I’ve spent a lot of time on this initial post. I have a lot of ideas regarding topics I’d like to cover, but I also think it’s important to start with a mission statement.

What is Fellowship of N3RD setting out to accomplish? What can it bring to the table that other tech/gadget/gaming/nerd sites cannot?

To be honest, I’m not sure. And while that may not be the most comforting admission ever, it’s sincere. I visit a lot of sites on a daily basis (Giz, io9, BGR, Kotaku, Blastr, IGN to name a few) that cater to my interests: Science fiction, fantasy, comics, gaming, the newest and most exciting gadgets...

But there’s more. I think we are at an incredibly exciting point in the history (and future) of humanity. To cite one example: In a time where funding for NASA has been stripped, private industries are picking up the mantle of space travel and exploration. Hell, we’ve even seen press conferences for asteroid mining (which, I have to admit, makes me miss New Eden something fierce)!

I don’t claim that we’ll be living in our Star Trek future soon, but it’s an exciting step forward. In the meantime, we have a wealth of resources that we can pour our imaginations and hopes into. Books, games, and movies are giving (and have given) us a glimpse of the exciting (both inspiring and terrifying) prospects that we are capable of. Franchises, and new entries into our favorite genres, captivate our imaginations and drive our visions for the future.

In a time where the world faces a great deal of uncertainty, we can almost take solace in these wonders of secondary creation. It gives us something to strive for, and to work toward. I started this post talking about a mission statement. I don’t think it’s a statement on what I will provide to you.

Instead, it’s an invitation. Join me in this fellowship. As we continue this journey, and make amazing leaps in science fiction and science fact, I invite all of you. We can experience it together.

And may those lines between science fiction and science fact continue to blur.

Allons-y!

No comments:

Post a Comment